Jaguars – Year 5
Welcome to Year 5 and
This half term we will be immersing ourselves in the world of Ancient Greece! Watch this space!
Spring 2 2021
This was a busy half term! We started off by learning about fair trade for Fair Trade Fortnight and we created leaflets about fair trade chocolate and made presentations about the devastating effects of palm oil production. We then spent a week completing lots of activities for World Book Day and even had a competition to design a potato as a book character!
After that we began a topic called Blue Abyss. We explored the dangers of single use plastics for our oceans and wrote letters asking the governernment to take action! We learned about the discoveries made during the expedition of HMS Challenger and wrote newspaper reports. We also wrote our own stories based on the Titanic... with a twist! In art, we looked at the famous painting 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa' by Katsushika Hokusai and created our own versions using a range of materials.
Spring 1 2021
Our topic for Spring 1 was Amazing Americas! We researched areas of USA and find out about a Native American tribe called the Iroquois tribe. We will also created totem poles in art and created our own games in computing.
We also learned about Christopher Columbus and his journey to America.
Finally, we wrote poems about the vast expanse of Alaska. What do you think?
Autumn 2 2020
Before Christmas we produced some writing based on My Christmas Star. We worked hard to develop our narrative writing skills and create imaginative writing. Take a look!
Remembrance Day 2020
We developed our understanding of Remembrance Day and read the poem 'In Flanders Fields' by John McCrae. We used the symbol of the poppy to create our own Remembrance Day art.
Our main topic in Autumn 2 was Earth and Space. Our class text was 'Cosmic' by Frank Cottrell-Boyce. We really recommend it!
We have been working really hard to produce some excellent writing based on 'Cosmic'. Take a look!
Our topic in Autumn 1 was Diversity. We read 'Here We Are' by Oliver Jeffers and some chapters of 'Wonder' by R. J. Palacio. We also watched the film adaptation of 'Wonder' to explore and celebrate diversity.
We wrote diary entries as if we were Auggie, the main character in 'Wonder', and newspaper reports to explain the 'highlight of the year': the nature reserve trip.
In art we have been experimenting with sketching techniques and in RE we have been exploring 'peace' across different religions. In Geography we have been exploring our diverse world and in science we have been learning about Earth and Space in preparation for our class text next half term. To celebrate the end of our diversity topic we explored the diversity of our school grounds and went snail and newt hunting!
- Summer term 1 2021 - Week 1 - 19.04.2021
- Spring term 2 2021 - Week 6 - 29.03.2021
- Jaguar Class Home Learning Plan - Autumn 2020 - Diversity and The Universe is Calling
- Topic Web - Autumn 2020 - Diversity and The Universe is Calling
- Topic Web - Spring 1 2021 - Amazing Americas
- Topic Web - Spring 2 2021 - Blue Abyss
- Jaguar Class detailed topic web - Summer 1 2021 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Topic Web - Summer 1 2021 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Medium term plan - Computing - 3D modelling - Summer 1 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Medium term plan - Art - Greek clay vases - Summer 1 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Medium term plan - DT - Cams mechanisms - Summer 1 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Medium term plan - English - Summer 1 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Medium term plan - Geography - Exploring Eastern Europe - Summer 1 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Medium term plan - History - Ancient Greeks - Summer 1 - Who Let the Gods Out?
- Medium term plan - Maths - Summer term
- Medium term plan - French - European countries and modes of transport - Summer 1
- Medium term plan - RE - Worship - Summer term 1
- Medium term plan - PSHE - First aid - Summer 1
- Medium term plan - Music - Violin